Thursday 28 April 2016

Derren Brown Miracle Tour 2016 - A review (ish)

Last week Martin and I had the privilege of going to see Derren Brown perform his Miracle tour at The Mayflower Theatre in Southampton. I'm not gonna lie, I had little knowledge of who he was before I went... Magicians, illusionists and all things like that which mess with your mind TERRIFIES me. (I'm not even joking - I burst into tears in TGI Fridays once cos a magician turned a pack of playing cards into ice in my hand haha!) So yeah, quite frankly, I was very anxious and didn't know what to expect, but d'ya know what? I really really enjoyed it.

This is a difficult post to write because I obviously can't give anything away, so I'll try my hardest to review it without actually reviewing it.
credit: theangrymicrowave.com
There is so much more to the show than just magic and illusion, Derren is ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS. Seriously, he had me laughing pretty much through out which I definitely wasn't expecting. It also makes you think, like seriously think and take some time out from life which was incredible and made me cry, but not because I was scared. I was literally just overcome with emotion.

Obviously there was magic and even now I'm still totally baffled as to how it was done but I guess that's the point! There were bits of it that I wasn't convinced about and I don't think I ever will be, but that's certainly not because it wasn't executed well, but more that I'm cynical about certain things. There was plenty of audience participation, and the way the audience were selected makes me 99% sure that they were actually randoms and not pre selected! There was also plenty of online participation too (check out @derrenbrown to see what I mean!) which was quite funny and kept it right up to date!
This is the selfie that he took on the night! We are in there somewhere! Ha. I do love a good ol' stage selfie.

So there you go. In a nutshell I'd say it's bloody brilliant with more than just magic. It'll make you cringe, it'll make you laugh, and it will probably make you emotional and it is well worth going to see if you get the chance to. I will definitely be going to see another one of his shows if he does another tour!

Have you seen it? What did you think?

Love 
Sophie x 

No comments:

Post a Comment